Sunday, March 21, 2010

Happy Spring!

First Day of spring sprung upon us yesterday. I just want to start gardening! If only I had a garden....or if there wasn't a massive year-2 year waiting list to get a community plot at the garden I so conveniently live 1 block from. I guess I will have to make due with my patio. I was definitely getting a spring vibe yesterday, I just realized that I kept coming across gardening stuff coincidentally. For instance, I almost threw out a receipt that I had written a note to myself to look up these really cute gardening boots that I saw in a magazine The website is diannebbest and these are the boots I saw..... Then I realized that her site's sole purpose is to provide an online shopping source for her favourite gardening gear. Which is pretty cool, but I think she should've at least noted the designer of the boots! Anyway, so there's some really cool/trendy gardening stuff on this page. You can buy the whole lot of it for $400. I can just picture some rich little ninny coming across is and deciding she's going to take up gardening and buying all of it and never using it.


So then I was reading a vogue I picked up at used book store, its from like November 2009...haven't the slightest idea why they would be featuring gardening in November...but they had a full spread of a gardening photo shoot called Midnight in the Garden of Good.

The article talks about Guerrilla gardeners. I had just bought a book called "On Guerrilla Gardening" a few weeks ago and its someth
ing I have been interested in over the last little while. Guerrilla Gardening is kind of a movement where people decide to cultivate whatever land
they like. The book's opening quote is "Let's Fight the filth with forks and flowers!" People spring up gardens in peculiar places to try and beautify their cities. This is a great example in Calgary, I used to walk by this car every morning on my way to the train, I di
dn't know then what Guerrilla Gardening wa
s and thought it was a little crazy for so
meone to do such a thing to their car, but its actually pretty brilliant, espec
ially if the car doesn't run anyway. This garden has a solar powered water fountain and the car was rescued from a farm where it had been for the past 9 years.

So now I am well ready to start planning my own balcony planters/ guerrilla gardening endeavors for this spring! The Vogue issue I previously mentioned also featured in the index steps to grow Arugula or Roquette in a planter. I love arugula! How great would it be to just snatch some from the balcony and sprinkle some oil and vinegar on it for a fresh salad. yup, i'm going to do that this year. and my seed catalogue has come in! So I have to decide on some others. The catelouge is free if you are interested in having one sent to you! or you can also get a pdf. of it here. They do have arugula in the salad greens section....$2.79 for 1g of seeds. They say to sow a short row as soon as possible in early spring so that would be NOW! I better get on it! Happy Gardening!!


2 comments:

  1. I totally remember that broken down truck in Calgary that had tomatoes growing in the front seat..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only just discovered your blog!
    We have a park just down our street, and if council don't decide to sell it off (which they are currently considering), Mum, Beth and I are going to do some guerrilla gardening of our own. Of course, I should probably sort out my own garden first...

    ReplyDelete