Monday, August 23, 2010

Up Came The Sun


I was reading my book last night.....which is The Autobiography of Henry VIII and I read this line "Up came the sun. The countryside about us was fresh." and got an instant feeling- filled with smells and visuals - of dew on the grass and the sun just coming up on a summer morning and birds chirping and everything quiet but slowly waking up, everything green. I just found it interesting how a few words stuck together can create such a powerful image. Is that the trick to good writing? i don't know...

Anyway- its the biggest book i've ever attempted to read and though it is taking me months to read it i am really enjoying it. i love books!

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful image! I started that book before I came out to Canada, and didn't even get up to the first head chopping. It's a great book, very well written, but there is so much going on in it, that I found it to be a very slow read. Read a lot, take a break so the info could percolate, then read some more. I'll have to start again, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! I have just about made it to where Rita's bookmark is...(Erin had leant it to her and then asked for it back to give it to me as a re-gifted gift but told me to keep the bookmark in so that Rita could continue it eventually...) so that's not even a quarter of the way and I started the book in March or something! very slow read, but one that can easily be put aside for a couple weeks and picked up again without too much confusion about what happend.

    p.s. i think you get the award for being my most faithful blog reader!!

    ReplyDelete